Vegetable Biryani (Kerala style layered biryani)
- Rice 2 cups
- Beans 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Carrots 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Peas 1/2 cup
- Potatoes 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Cauliflower 1/2 cup (chopped)
- Onions 3 Green
- chillies 4-5
- Ginger - garlic paste 1 tbsp.
- Cloves 3-4
- Cinnamon 1 piece
- Elachi 3-4
- Bay leaf 2
- Red Chilli powder 2 tsp.llllll
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp.
- Coriander powder 1 tsp.
- Garam masala Powder 1 tsp.
- Jeera powder 1 tsp.
- Ghee 3 tbsp.
- Mint leaves 1 bunch
- Coriander Leaves 1 bunch
- Salt to taste
- Cashews, raisins & Pistachios 1 cup
- Saffron 2 strands put in warm water
- Wash & Soak Rice for 1-2 hrs. Heat ghee in Vessel.
- Add Cloves, Cinnamon, Elachi, Bay leaf etc.
- Allow it to Splutter.
- Then add the Rice & fry on low flame until rice is crispy.
- This will take approx. 15 mts.
- Once the Rice has been fried add water.
- Add 4 cups of water. Add salt & then cover & cook until the rice is done.
- In the meantime, Grind 2 Onions to a fine paste & keep it aside separately.
- Also grind the mint leaves, coriander leaves & green Chilies. Keep this too aside separately.
- Heat oil / Ghee in a kadai.
- Fry the Onion paste until Light brown.
- Then add the Ginger-garlic paste. Saute it until done.
- Then add the Chopped vegetables & Mix all of them together & fry until the vegetables are done.
- Then add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder & jeera powder & mix all together.
- Then add the Ground paste of mint-coriander & green chillies & Mix it along very well.
- Check salt. Cover & cook.
- Do not add water.
- Once it is cooked, Switch off the gas.
- Chop the remaining Onion & fry it in Ghee until Golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Also fry the nuts & raisins.
Layering and serving
- Take a Serving Vessel. Add a layer of rice in the bottom.
- Then add the gravy on top of it.
- Again add a layer of rice on top of that & then again add the remaining gravy on top of it.
- Now add the remaining rice & decorate with fried onions, nuts & saffron.
- Just before serving Mix all together
- Serve hot with Raita.
[[Indian recipes]] [[Rice]]