- Green gram split(moong dal) - 1/2 cup
- Bengal gram split (chana dal) - 5 tbsps
- Ginger - 2 one inch pieces
- Onion - 1 large
- Red Chillies whole - 3
- Salt - to taste
- Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
- Ghee - 2 tbsps
- Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - a pinch
- Red chilli powder - 1 tbsp
- Dry mango powder (amchur) - 1 1/2 tsps
- Pick, wash and soak moon dal and chana dal together in about three cups of water for about an hour. Drain.
- Peel, wash and finely chop ginger and onion.
- Remove stems and break the red chillies in two.
- Boil dals in 4 cups water adding salt to taste, turmeric powder and ginger till cooked.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin seeds, asafetida, and red chillies to the ghee.
- As the cumin seeds begin to change color, add onion. Cook until the onion turns light brown.
- Add red chilli powder and the cooked dal to this. Add half a cup of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add amchur and stir to mix well.
- Serve hot.
[[Instantpot]] [[Dals]] [[Indian recipes]]