Palakura pullakura (Mango Spinach Dal)
- Half cup each - moong dal and chana dal
- One or about 1 cup - unripe mango pieces
- One bunch spinach - washed and chopped
- 10 to 12 green chillies (small Indian variety) - finely chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ tsp chopped garlic
- ¼ tsp dried red chilli pieces
- ¼ tsp curry leaves
- ¼ tsp hing
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Roast Moong dal till it is light brown in color.
- Then add the chana dal to the moong dal and wash them together.
- Add the moong dal, chana dal to a pressure cooker.
- Next, add the unripe mango pieces, spinach, green chillies and turmeric along with about 4 cups of water to pressure cooker.
- Cover and cook for one whistle, not more than that so the chana dal can maintain its integrity.
- Once the pressure cooker cools down, open it.
- Add salt. Mix and mash the dal lightly.
8.Once the valve pressure cleared, I opened the lid and added salt. Mixed and Mashed the dal lightly.
- Heat the oil in a pan and toast the popu ingredients listed above one after another in the order written.
- When mustard seeds start to jump around, add the mashed dal to the popu and mix everything thoroughly.
I also fried some papadams, sundried yogurt chillies and pumpkin vadiyams (courtesy of my blog neighbor Mythili of Vindu who returned from India trip recently.) to accompany the dal and rice. Served hot with rice and little bit of ghee, and a cup of yogurt on the side, our meal today was heartwarming and fulfilling. Thanks Vijaya for this family recipe and thanks Mythili for the tasty vadiyams. Here is to the power of sharing!
[[Instantpot]] [[Dals]] [[Indian recipes]]