- Spinach (palak)(keerai) - 2 bunches (around 4.5 cups)
- Sambar powder - 1 1/2 tsp
- Salt - as needed
- Asafoetida (hing) - 2 pinches)
- Sugar - 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- Yellow moong dal (uncooked) - 1/4 cup
- Coconut - 2 tbsp
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) - 1/4 tsp
- Coconut oil - ! Ts[
- Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
- Asafoetida - 14 tsp
- Wash the spinach 4-5 times as they have small sands . Chop them finely.
- Add sambar powder, salt, asafoetida, sugar and turmeric powder.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5-7 minutes . Let the raw smell of the sambar powder go and the keerai gets cooked. The keerai will get cooked very fast as they are finely chopped..
- Pressure cook the moong dal with enough water.
- Grind the coconut , jeera, and pepper into a fine paste. Add little water if needed while grinding. do not add more.
- Add the cooked dal and the ground paste too.
- Mix well and let this boil for 5 minutes .Switch it off.
- Temper mustard seeds and urad dal in coconut oil.
- Serve hot with plain rice or as a side dish for Vathal kuzhambhu.
[[Instantpot]] [[Dals]] [[Indian recipes]]