Mumbai Roadside Vegetable Sandwich
To Be Blended Into A Smooth Green Chutney (makes 1/2 Cup)
- 1 cup roughly chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1/4 cup shredded spinach (palak)
- 1 1/2 tbsp roughly chopped green chillies
- 1 1/2 bread slices , torn into pieces
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp water
For The Sandwich Masala (makes 1/2 Cup)
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 2 tsp cloves (laung / lavang)
- 2 tsp cinnamon (dalchini)
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns (kalimirch)
- 4 tsp fennel seeds (saunf)
- 1 star anise (chakri phool)
- 4 tsp black salt (sanchal)
- 2 tsp rock salt
- 4 tsp dried mango powder (amchur)
- 8 bread slices
- butter for brushing
- 4 tsp green chutney
- 20 cucumber slices
- 16 boiled potato slices
- sandwich masala for sprinkling , recipe above
- 16 tomato slices
- 12 boiled beetroot slices
- 8 sliced onions
- tomato ketchup
- green chutney
For the sandwich masala
- Heat a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, black peppercorns, fennel seeds and star anise and dry roast on a slow flame for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep aside to cool.
- Once cooled, blend in a mixer to a fine powder.
- Transfer the powder into a bowl, add the black salt, rock salt and dried mango powder and blend in a mixer till smooth.
- Use as required.
For the sandwich
- Trim off the edges of each bread slice and apply some butter and ½ tsp of chutney on it and keep aside.
- Place a slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing upwards, on a clean and dry surface.
- Arrange 5 cucumber slices, 4 potato slices and sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Arrange 4 tomato slices, 3 beetroot slices, 2 onion slices and again sprinkle some sandwich masala evenly over it.
- Cover it with another slice of bread, with the buttered-chutney side facing downwards and press it lightly.
- Cut into 6 equal pieces, place it on a plate and apply some butter evenly over it.
- Repeat steps 2 to 6 to make 3 more sandwiches.
Serve immediately with tomato ketchup and green chutney.
- Brown bread vegetable sandwich: replace white bread with brown bread for a healthier version of this delicacy.
- Cheese vegetable sandwich: simply put a generous amount of grated cheese over the tomatoes (after step 4 in the above recipe), top with another slice of bread and some more grated cheese over it. Cut into 6 equal pieces and serve immediately.
- Veg toast sandwich: place the sandwich in an electric toaster or a hand toaster and cook using butter till it turns brown and crisp on both sides. Remove and cut into 6 equal pieces and serve hot topped with butter and nylon sev.
- Jain vegetable sandwich: to make a jain version, use generous amounts of cucumber and tomatoes in the above recipe. Do not add onions, potatoes and beetroot. You can have this sandwich as it is or toasted.
- Banana Pepper Wafers ( Microwave Snacks Recipe)
- Green Chutney ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes)
- Hot and Sour Soup ( Mumbai Roadside Recipes )
[[Indian recipes]] [[Snacks]] [[Sandwiches]]