- 1 cup red chilli powder
- 1 cup coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup shredded dry coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 tbsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 tbsp cloves
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup onions, roughly chopped
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cilantro leaves, patted dry and minced
- 2 tbsp oil
- Toast all the whole spices on a dry skillet. Set aside.
- Fry all ingredients (except red chilli powder) together in oil till dry and browned.
- Grind the fried stuff to a fine powder.
- Mix with the red chilli powder.
- Cool and store in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
This spice mixture is made with fresh onions so please take care that they get well-browned and dry, otherwise the chutney will spoil. You might want to cut the recipe down to 1/4 or so, since the quantities given are pretty large. Once the chutney is ready, usal is made in minutes.
[[Indian recipes]] [[Spice mixes]]