- 4 Katoris uncooked rice
- 1 1/2 katoris mung dal
- 4 tsps coriander seeds
- 2 tsps cumin seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds (shahi jeera or black cumin)
- 1/2 katori dessicated dry coconut
- 2-3 tsps salt
- 4 tsps sugar or jaggery
- 1/2 katori grated fresh coconut
- 8-10 cashewnuts
- coriander leaves, chopped
- 5-6 curry leaves
- 1 katori oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard leaves
- 1/4 tsp asafoetda powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsps ghee
- 2 dry red chillis
- About one hour before cooking, wash the rice and dal together. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oil in a saucepan and add mustard seeds, asafoetida, turmeric and curry leaves.
- Add washed rice and dal and saute lightly browned.
- Add double the quantity (about 11 katoris) hot water. Bring to a oil and continue cooking on low heat.
- While it is cooking, make a masala of coriander seeds, cumin seeds, caraway seeds, dessicated coconut.
- Roast these ingredients before grinding.
- Add the masala to the khichadi.
- Add salt, sugar or jaggery, 2 tsps ghee, cashew nuts, cover the saucepan and cook further on low heat till ready.
- Serve with fresh grated coconut and chopped coriander leaves.
- If desired,, add dry red chillies or green chillies to the phodni.
Ruchira: Selected Maharashtrian vegetarian Recipes
[[Indian recipes]] [[Rice]] [[Instantpot]]