Vegetables (cucumber or pumpkin or okra or bottle gourd or beans ) - Chopped into chunks - 2 cups
Daliya (putani bele)
grated coconut - 1 cup
Green chillies - 1
Ginger - 1 inch piece
Yogurt / buttermilk - 2 cup
Salt to taste
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 2
Coconut oil or Ghee - 2 Tbsp
- Boil the chopped vegetables with some water and keep aside. Use as little water as possible.
- In a blender, grind the daliy, grated coconut, green chilli, ginger with a little bit of water into a thick smooth paste.
- In a pot, heat the boiled chopped vegetables with their water. Add the ground paste to this.
- Beat the yogurt and add it to the pot.
- Bring to a boil.Once it start boiling, turn off the heat.
- In the tempering pan, heat the oil. Fry the cumin seeds till they become golden. Add the curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Pour the temper onto the boiling kayi huli.
Let the kayi huli rest for 15 mins. Serve hot with rice and papad.
[[Ammas recipes]] [[Indian recipes]]