Serves / Yields: 2
Kale Poriyal (Sauteed Kale) is a simple South Indian style preparation in which kale is sautéed along with onion, garlic and aromatic Indian spices.
- Kale - 1 bunch
- Garlic - 5 cloves (sliced)
- Onion - 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Salt - 1/4 tsp (adjust per taste)
- Water - 1/4 Cup
- Oil - 1 Tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 tsp
- Broken Urad Dal - 1/2 tsp
- Jeera - 1/4 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- First wash the kale nicely, remove the center spine and chop up the leaves into small pieces. Keep aside.
- Heat a large pan with oil and add the mustard seeds. Once it splutters, add the remaining ingredients given under "To temper" in the given order. Once the urad dal turns golden, add the sliced garlic and saute for 30s.
- Then add the chopped onion and continue to saute until the onions turn translucent. Add the salt now and continue to saute until the onions turns golden brown. Now add the chopped kale and about 1/4 Cup of water to the pan.
- Continue to cook in medium flame, sautéing frequently, until all the water evaporates and the kale is cooked fully. Turn off the flame.
- Serve hot.
Do adjust the quantity of garlic as per your taste preference.
Do not over cook the kale, it will taste bitter.
Recipe from revisfoodography.com