- Idly rava (cream of rice or rice sooji) - 3 cups
- Split white urad dal (blackgram) - 1 cup
- Fenugreek (methi) seeds - 1 tsp
- Parched rice (poha) - 2 tbsp
- Wash and soak the urad dal for 4 - 6 hours.
- Soak the fenugreek leaves separately for 4-6 hours.
- Soak the idli rava for 30 mins.
- Separately, soak the poha for 30 mins.
- Drain the water from the urad dal, fenugreek seeds, idli rava and poha, and add them into a blender.
- Blend the soaked urad dal, methi, rava and poha, adding small amounts of water as needed.
- Blend until smooth,frothy and bubbly. The consistency needs to be thtick, yet able to pour.
- Put the batter in a pot such that the batter is filling half the pot or less, ready to ferment.
- Place the pot in a warm place overnight. If you have an oven, you can place it in the oven with the light on overnight.
- When properly fermented, the batter raises, turns light and fluffy with lots of pores and bubbles. To test, drop half a spoon of the batter into a bowl filled with water. Well fermented batter will float, not sink.
- Mix the salt in right before making idlis
[[Ammas recipes]] [[Indian recipes]][[Batters]]