Heerekayi (Ridge gourd) chutney
Instead of Heerekayi, you can Use
- Ash gourd (Boodu Kumbalakayi)
- Mangalore cucumber (Soutekayi)
- Snake gourd (Padavalakayi)
- Tender Ridge gourd (heere kayi) - 1
- Tamarind - 1 quarter size
- Coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- White split urad dal (blackgram) - 1 tsp
- Dried red chilli - 1
- asafoetida - 1 pinch
- Coconut oil - 2 Tbsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprigs
- Mustard seeds - 1/4 Tbsp
- White split urad dal - 1/2 Tbsp
- Asfoetida - 1 pinch
- Wash and peel the ridge gourd. Cut it into chunks.
- In a pot, add the ridge gourd, tamarind, salt and cover with just enough water to keep the pieces covered.
- Boil till the pieces are tender, keep it aside and let cool.
- In a flat small pan, heat 1Tbsp of coconut oil and fry the urad dal, hing and red chilli till the urad dal starts turning reddish.
- In a blender, add the fried urad dal, hing, red chillies, the grated coconut and the ridge gourd and blend to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste to a wide bowl.
- In a tempering container, heat the oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- When the mustard seeds splutter, pour the seasoning over the chutney.
Mix and serve.
[[Ammas recipes]] [[Indian recipes]] [[Dips]] [[Try]]