- All purpose flour (Maida)- 1 cup
- Sour yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Coconut pieces- Handful
- Finely chopped green chillies- 1 tsp
- Chopped curry leaves- 1 tsp
- Water- 1/4 cup
- Baking soda- 1/2 tsp
- Cooking oil- Enough to deep fry
- In a mixing bowl take maida, curry leaves, salt, coconut pieces and chopped green chillies. Give a quick mix. Then add yogurt and mix. Thick and sticky dough would be ready.
- Next add 1/4 cup water and prepare loose and sticky dough. The consistency should be neither too loose nor too stiff. Let this batter rest for at least 2 to 3 hours.
- After 3 hours of resting time goli baje batter would have fermented. Now it is time to add baking soda, mix the batter thoroughly.
- Heat enough cooking oil in heavy bottom wok and when the oil gets heated up, drop lemon sized dough in to oil. It will nicely puff up in oil.
- Deep fry the goli baje till it turns brown in medium flame. When done, using slotted ladle remove them from oil and drain over kitchen tissue paper.
- Serve them hot along with coconut chutney and tea. It is an awesome evening snack to relish.
- Sour yogurt is preferred to prepare goli baje, so do not use fresh one.
- Baking soda should be added just before deep frying.
- Good 2 to 3 hours of fermentation is needed for puffy and airy goli baje otherwise it turns hard.
- It is recommended to consume the goli baje hot. It turns chewy when cools down.
Recipe from udupi-recipes.com