Urad dal dosa batter
- Split white urad dal - 1 cup
- Methi seeds - 1 tbsp
- Chana dal (kadale bele) - 1 tbsp
- Parched rice (poha) - 2 tbsp
- White rice - 3 cups
- Mix the white urad dal, methi seeds and chana dal in a pot. Wash it thoroughly. Soak in water for 4-6 hours.
- In a different pot, thoroughly wash the rice and soak it for 4-6 hours.
- Soak the poha with 1/4 cup water for 30mins.
- Blend the soaked urad dal, methi, chana dal, rice and poha, adding small amounts of water as needed.
- Blend until smooth,frothy and bubbly. The consistency needs to be thick, yet able to pour.
- Put the batter in a pot such that the batter is filling half the pot or less, ready to ferment.
- Place the pot in a warm place overnight. If you have an oven, you can place it in the oven with the light on overnight.
- When properly fermented, the batter raises, turns light and fluffy with lots of pores and bubbles. To test, drop half a spoon of the batter into a bowl filled with water. Well fermented batter will float, not sink.
- Mix the salt in right before making dosas
[[Ammas recipes]] [[Indian recipes]][[Batters]]