- 1 cup Whole Black Urad Dal
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 inch piece butter
- 1.5 tsp Dhania powder
- 1.5 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 green chillies, finely diced
- 1/2 inch Ginger piece, finely diced
- Dash of lemon
- Wash dal and pressure cook it with 2 1/2 cups water, three whistles.
- Heat oil (and butter) in a pot. Once the butter melts, add hing and then the smashed garlic.
- Add onions & fry for 5 mins, till the onions turn pink. Then add the tomatoes.
- Once the onions & tomatoes mix well and become grayish, add masalas.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powder, garam masala powder, dhania powder, green and Ginger pieces, cilantro leaves and a dash of lime.
- Mix for about 5-6 mins till they blend well.
- Add the cooked black dal with 1/2 cup water.
- Simmer for 8-19 mins on low heat to mix well.
[[Instantpot]] [[Dals]] [[Indian recipes]]