Banana Flower Chutney
- Banana flower pods - 6 or 1 cup chopped
- Tamarind - 1 quarter size
- Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
- Coconut oil - 1 Tbsp
- White split urad dal (blackgram) - 1 tsp
- Dried red chilli - 1
- asafoetida - 1 pinch
- salt to taste
- Peel the bracts from the banana flower and discard the outermost ones. Wash them with water.
- Chop the bracts / pods into chunks.
- In a pot, add the banana flower chunks,, tamarind, salt and cover with just enough water to keep the pieces covered.
- Boil till the pieces are tender, keep it aside and let cool.
- In a flat small pan, heat 1Tbsp of coconut oil and fry the urad dal, hing and red chillis till the urad dal starts turning reddish.
- In a blender, add the fried urad dal, hing, red chillies, the grated coconut, the boilde banana flower and blend to a coarse paste.
- Transfer the paste to a wide bowl.
Mix and serve.
[[Ammas recipes]] [[Indian recipes]] [[Dips]] [[Try]]